Monday, July 27, 2009

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

You know, I really like David Yates. I think that his movies feel more like HBO television shows at times, but what's wrong with that? And this movie is the perfect set-up for Deathly Hallows: Part I and Deathly Hallows: Part II.

I thought that the latest film installment of the Potter saga was beautifully executed. As John Noe said in a recent Pottercast podcast, "it felt like they took cameras into the wizarding world." He was absolutely correct. I loved the opening shot, loved it, loved it, loved it. Have I expressed that sentiment enough? Well, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is my favorite book, so something hearkening back to the end of that film was bound to be awesome anyway. And it was so unexpected!

I loved Prof. Slughorn's story about Lily and charms.... and well, I don't want to give it away, but it was just a beautiful moment. And Harry drugged up on Felix Felicis! That was some perfect comedic acting on Daniel Radcliffe's part.

I know I heard some criticisms about there being no big battle at the end like in the book, but I like the way the Death Eaters and Snape and Draco very subtly left the castle, and Tom Felton did some major awesome acting in this movie. When the students and professors held up their wands with the tips lit up to get rid of the dark mark, I wanted so much to turn on my cell phone and hold it up in the air with them! (I wonder if some people in other theaters actually did something like this?) And most of all, I love the image of Fawkes flying off in the distance. What a great way to end movie six. I'm okay with no funeral, because there was no Rufus Scrimgeour in this movie. If there was, I would have wanted the funeral. But no Scrimgeour, no funeral = that makes sense.

All in all, this movie was a beautiful one, and not just for the Potter franchise, but for movies in general. I hope it is up for some awards now that the academy has 10 nominees for Best Picture. It could at least get acknowledged... set the stage for a win for Deathly Hallows: Part II perhaps? Well, that's wishful thinking. And one more thing: my theater at midnight was completely respectful and there were virtually no little kids in attendance. That was awesome. We go to watch the film uninterrupted and we got sucked into the world of magic on a beautiful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment